*Update 5/18/2018- Since the posting of this review, we have had feedback from several friends and family members who are using WyzeCam. Not only have the cameras themselves lived up to the promise of providing affordable, high quality home security, their customer service has proved to be top-notch when an exchange for updated equipment was needed.
We’re always on the lookout for new home security technology that we think will help our readers – without breaking the bank. We’ve been hearing a lot about WyzeCam, an affordable home smart camera that connects to your smartphone, lately.
So far the reviews are coming back positive, so we took a closer look at WyzeCam, and we like what we see.
What Is WyzeCam?
is a WiFi enabled smart camera that sends alerts via the Wyze app and offers real-time video so you can use your phone to monitor what the camera sees.
WyzeCam was designed with quality and affordability in mind. WyzeCam was born out of the needs of one the founders who wanted a smart camera he could use to stay connected and protect his family while he was on the road. He found that the top-of-range cameras were prohibitively overpriced, while the lower priced options were unreliable.
He spotted the need for an affordable and reliable smart camera, and WyzeCam was born.
What Can You Do With WyzeCam?
The answer is: So much! WyzeCam is tiny, light, portable and flexible, which means you can use it in many different ways:
- Keep an eye on your family while you’re out and about
- Give your loved ones a way to check in with you when they’re not in the house
- Watch the porch for package deliveries or to see who is at the door
- Keep watch over children or grandchildren when they are playing in another room
- Make sure your pets are ok when you’re not in the same room
- Communicate with a spouse who is sick in bed, or busy in another part of your home
- Receive instant motion alerts thanks to WyzeCam’s motion detection technology
- Get smoke alarm or CO2 alarm alerts thanks to WyzeCam’s smart sound recognition
The only thing you can’t do with WyzeCam is use it outside, but as we found, using WyzeCam through a window to monitor the outdoors works very well.
How Does It Work?
WyzeCam uses WiFi to connect with your smart phone. All you do is download the Wyze app and follow a few simple steps to connect the camera to your phone. Once it’s connected, you can use the app to view high quality live streaming video from the camera.
WyzeCam automatically records a 10 – 15 second video when it detects sound or motion in its vicinity. However, you can add a micro SD card (not included) for continuous recording and streaming.
How Easy Is It To Use?
WyzeCam is very easy to use and setup takes just a few minutes.
- Download the Wyze app and create an account.
- Connect the camera to a power outlet.
- Hold down the reset button for 3 seconds until you hear a voice prompt.
- Follow the instructions in the app to connect to your wifi, pair the camera and finish set up.
Once WyzeCam is up and running, camera and account management is done through the app. We’re impressed with how user friendly it is.
What Other Features Are There?
WyzeCam offers more than just HD live streaming video. Other features include:
- 1080p full HD video
- 8x digital zoom
- Night vision
- 2-way audio communication
- Motion detection so you can be alerted of movement near the camera
- Smart sound recognition which can be set to recognize smoke or CO2 alarms and issue a warning
- 14 days of rolling cloud storage absolutely free
- Time lapse videos
In addition, WyzeCam is tiny, flexible and unobtrusive so you can easily use it anywhere in your home. You mount it using a magnetic wall plaque and tape (included) so there are no nails, screws or complicated DIY to worry about. WyzeCam offers 180 degree rotation and is easy to pivot, so you can position it any way you want.
What Does It Cost?
Where WyzeCam really comes into its own is price! The camera costs just $19.99 and comes with a power adapter, USB cable, mounting kit and quick start guide. It is the most affordable camera of this quality available today.
If you’re looking for better home security or more connected peace of mind at home, WyzeCam is ideal. It’s very reasonably priced but doesn’t skimp on quality, and we love how feature-packed and easy to use it is.