Humana - Best Extra Benefits
What We Like Most:
- Wide range of plans offered
- 24/7 customer service
- Vision and dental add-ons available
- High-deductible plan options
Plans with $0 Premiums:
- CareFree (HMO)
- CareOne PLATINUM (HMO)
- CareOne PLUS (HMO)
- Humana Gold Plus H1036-025 (HMO)
- HumanaChoice Florida H5216-072 (PPO)
- Humana Gold Plus H1036-265 (HMO)
- Humana Honor (HMO)
- HumanaChoice R5826-018 (Regional PPO)
- CareNeeds PLUS (HMO D-SNP)
- Humana Gold Plus SNP-DE H1036-102 (HMO D-SNP)
- CareBreeze (HMO C-SNP)
- CareComplete (HMO C-SNP)
- Humana Gold Plus – Diabetes and Heart (HMO C-SNP)
Humana has two companies they offer Medicare Advantage plans through in St Petersburg, Florida. They have their typical Humana Brand and CarePlus.
The Humana branded plans will typically have a more comprehensive network. Humana is a leader when it comes to additional plan extras with generous over-the-counter benefits, SilverSneaker fitness rewards, and great transportation options.
Humana has some of the best customer services, and to date, they use representatives that are in the United States. So many insurance carriers have shipped their customer service departments overseas. It’s nice to see a company that, at least for now, handles it at home.
Of course, the benefits will vary from plan to plan and depend on where you reside. In many areas, Humana has one of the lower maximum out-of-pocket amounts for medical services. Humana has an extensive network of providers, making it easy to find a doctor you’ll like.
Humana also offers Medicare Supplement Insurance to offset the healthcare costs left over from Medicare. Their Medicare Advantage plan types include Health Maintenance Organizations (HMO), Preferred Provider Organizations (PPO), Private Fee For Service (PFFS), and Special Needs Plans (SNP).
To learn more about Humana, read our guides to Humana dental and Humana Medicare Advantage.
- Great Customer Service
- Low out-of-pocket maximum
- Covers Dentures on many plans
- Finding a dentist to take take the coverage
- Food card has a lower allowance than some competitors
- You can’t use Humana’s over-the-counter benefits at your local pharmacy. It’s available through mail order only.