Stair Chair Lift Prices: How Much Does A Stair Lift Cost?
How much does a stair lift cost? The answer is – It depends… Modern stair lifts come in all shapes and sizes, so determining the cost of a stair lift is dependent on the needs of the consumer AND the staircase involved for installation purposes.
As a general rule, you should plan on budgeting somewhere between $2,000 and 7,000 for a professional straight-rail stair lift installation, and $7,000 to $15,000 for a curved-rail stair lift installations.
How Much is a Stair Lift?
Make sure you understand whether the installation is included when assessing the cost of a stair lift (consider getting this in writing). When it comes to the cost of a stair lift, there are 3 primary factors to consider:
- The type of stair lift involved (straight rail, curved rail, wheelchair platform, or outdoor stair lift).
- The configuration of one’s stairway (it could be narrow, curved, straight, short or long).
- Any special needs of the consumer (such as height, weight, or other mitigating factors).
Who Installs the Stair Lift?
Most reputable dealers have installation professionals in all major markets to serve buyers (where ever they may be). Although there are DIY (do it yourself) stair lift projects, we recommend that a professional do the work. There are many questions to be answered when installing a stair lift – such as:
- Is the structural integrity of the stairway conducive to a stair lift project?
- Do you have proper electrical requirements satisfied?
- Do you have the proper permitting (if required)?
- Do you know how to accurately test the equipment once installed?
- What if you have a problem in 6 months? Who would you call?
For these reasons (and more) we recommend that you have a professional do the work. Also, for what it’s worth – We make the same recommendation for walk-in bathtub installations. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
Other Considerations for Stair Lifts
Interesting to note that there is a used market out there for stair lifts. IF the stair lift is in good condition, it might be worth considering – However, we see all kinds of red-flags that could concern us about after-market home-safety appliances. So much can go wrong there… If the used product was professionally refurbished, and certified and/or warranted by the original manufacturer – perhaps… But at that point, you’re probably approaching the cost of a new stair lift.
Did we miss anything? If you have experience buying a stair lift, we’d love to hear from you in the comments below. How much did you spend on your stair lift?