Home Care Assistance Review
Founded 15 years ago in Palo Alto, California, Home Care Assistance is one of the largest premium home care providers, with a vast network of caregivers and client care managers. The company’s mission is to be the agency of choice for families looking for customized, dignified care for their loved ones.
Home Care Assistance offers a variety of hourly at-home services, including personal care assistance and specialized care for older adults with Alzheimer’s, dementia, or Parkinson’s. Here’s an overview of the company’s services.
- Live-in care: For aging adults who need constant support, Home Care Assistance offers live-in caregivers for short- or long-term needs. Live-in caregivers provide constant assistance during waking hours, but this service is not the same as 24/7 care, which requires several shifts from multiple caregivers.
- Personal care: Home Care Assistance offers a variety of personal care services, such as medication reminders, bathing, dressing, grooming assistance, and toileting. In addition to personal care, caregivers can help with lifestyle support, including light housekeeping and grocery shopping.
- Hospital-to-home care: Transitioning from the hospital to the home can be challenging for many older adults. Home Care Assistance offers continued care in the comfort of your home for a safe and successful recovery.
- Parkinson’s care: In addition to Alzheimer’s and dementia specialized care, Home Care Assistance provides caregivers for people with Parkinson’s. The company has partnered with the Parkinson’s Foundation to further help its clients with customized care plans and treatment.
Home Care Assistance operates in many locations, so your experience may vary slightly. Here’s what we found when contacting several offices near us:
- Home Care Assistance caregivers cost between $33 and $39 per hour, depending on the level of care.
- Home Care Assistance generally requires a four-hour minimum visit time, although shorter visits are sometimes available.
- Care is arranged through an intake form followed by an in-person assessment.
- The agency tries to provide the same caregivers each time, but can’t guarantee it.
The company’s customer service was prompt and helpful, but we felt a bit rushed to make a decision compared to other home care agencies.
Based on online reviews, a majority of people seem to have had a pleasant experience with the company. Many clients mentioned the prompt service on short notice, compassionate caregivers, and a high level of dignified care for their loved ones. Here is a selection of reviews:
“We have had nothing but very positive experiences with Home Care Assistance! They are organized and professional and have a very helpful staff. I would absolutely recommend Sue and the team at Home Care Assistance to any person looking for care for a loved one!” —Pleasanton, California
“Home Care Assistance stepped up when my parents had a need for emergency 24-hour care. I appreciate their attention to detail and their caring attitude. They went above and beyond what we were expecting in-home care to be. It was a very good experience and I definitely recommend them!” —Lehigh, Pennsylvania
“Thank you to Christina and Maria for helping to arrange a caregiver for my mother-in-law on short notice. My mother-in-law was hesitant because she had a bad experience with another agency. Thankfully, Maribel has been wonderful. She is kind and soft-spoken with a great sense of humor. My mother-in-law enjoyed the company and assistance she provided.” —Houston