Comfort Keepers Review
Founded in 1988 by a home health aide who wanted to expand in-home medical care to aging adults, Comfort Keepers currently has more than 700 offices worldwide, with each of its locations running as independently-owned and -operated franchises.
The company’s mission is to help improve seniors’ quality of life with individualized in-home care plans that allow them to successfully age in place.
Comfort Keepers services include mobility assistance, bathing, light housekeeping, grooming, meal prep, toileting needs, and medication management. In addition to personal care services, caregivers can also provide specialized care for various degenerative conditions like Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia.
- Alzheimer’s and dementia care: Comfort Keepers provides individualized care plans for seniors with Alzheimer’s and other types of dementia. This includes activities to stimulate their physical, mental, and emotional well-being and also offer companion care.
- End-of-life care: For those who wish to live their last days at home, Comfort Keepers offers end-of-life and hospice care that supports both patients and loved ones.
- Respite care: Comfort Keepers can provide respite relief for family caregivers who want to avoid caregiver burnout. This service includes taking over light housekeeping for a senior, including meal prep, transportation, and medication management.
- 24/7 care: Comfort Keepers offers round-the-clock care plans that allow older adults to live in their homes while receiving the assistance they need.
Each Comfort Keepers location is independently-owned and -operated, meaning your experience will vary by region; however, in our call with several local branches, we learned the following:
- Comfort Keepers Care would cost us $32-$38 per hour.
- Care needs are initially assessed through their CareMatch platform that accounts for health conditions, mobility, and self-efficacy, among other factors.
- Comfort Keepers requires no minimum hourly commitments for visits; however, extra fees are charged for visits of two hours or less.
- Booking care for fewer hours is more likely to result in receiving different caregivers each time.
The experience of finding care with Comfort Keepers is prompt and attentive. Their representatives were friendly and knowledgeable of care-related concerns, and they recommended options accordingly.
Like most home care agencies, they are currently experiencing a shortage of caregivers. This has resulted in potential wait times of nearly a week to begin receiving care.
In our research, we found that Comfort Keepers is quite consistent when it comes to hiring empathic caregivers and ensuring that seniors are enjoying a high quality of life at home. Here’s what people are saying online.
“My wife was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer with a prognosis of six to seven months to live. Me and my children did everything we could to provide care, but we realized we needed help. We contacted Comfort Keepers along with others. Comfort Keepers was by far the most professional company we interviewed. Better yet, they lived up to their promises. The care my wife received from every professional they sent to us was excellent. We could not have been more pleased.” – Phoenix, AZ
“Comfort Keepers took care of my grandmother when she was at the end of her life (age 96). The caregivers were very kind and helpful. They helped our family through a very tough time. My parents were able to go to work because they knew there were loving people at the bedside with my grandma. Her caregiver, Lisa, called us when my grandmother went downhill and we were able to get there to be with her for her last hours. Everyone at Comfort Keepers, both the office staff and the caregivers, went above and beyond! I highly recommend them.” – Thousand Oaks, CA
“Wonderful team of caring and experienced employees. They are adequately staffed, positive, resourceful people who are very reactive to the needs of their clients in a timely manner.” – Bridgeport, CT
Based on these and other online reviews, Comfort Keepers remains a trusted in-home care agency for compassionate and dignified end-of-life care, companionship, and short or long-term assistance with personal care tasks and daily living for seniors.