Visiting Angels Review
In 1998, Jeffrey Johnson started Visiting Angels to help seniors comfortably age in place in the comfort of their own homes instead of an alternative care facility such as a nursing home or assisted living. Since then, the company has grown into one of the largest providers of in-home care, with over 500 franchises operating nationwide and an approximate annual revenue of $10 to $50 million.
Visiting Angels offers a variety of nonmedical home care services, including meal prep, companionship, medication management, transportation, grooming, and personal hygiene assistance, in addition to specialized care for dementia and Alzheimer’s clients.
- Companion care: Caregivers can provide custodial services such as grocery shopping, picking up medications, light housekeeping, and companionship through activities such as watching TV or playing card games.
- Personal care: Visiting Angels offers a full range of personal care services, including grooming, bathing, and mobility assistance. Caregivers can also provide specialized essential care to seniors with diabetes, Parkinson’s, or other chronic health conditions.
- Specialized home care: Visiting Angels offers specialized home care services for people with Alzheimer’s, dementia, or other chronic conditions that may require a more personalized home care plan. Visiting Angels’ caregivers can offer wandering-prevention support, assistance with bathing and toileting, meal planning, and transportation services.
- Respite care: Visiting Angels can provide respite care to help family caregivers avoid burnout. The company can step in to provide home care services to your loved ones while you rest and recharge.
Each Visiting Angels location is independently owned and operated, so your experience and prices may vary. In our test calls with Visiting Angels, we learned the following:
- Visiting Angels care costs $30 to $32 per hour.
- Care needs are assessed through an in-home consultation.
- Each visit must be at least three hours, and your weekly total must be nine hours.
- Sporadic care will likely result in having different caregivers.
- Due to current caregiver shortages, priority is given to people who need more hours of care.
Visiting Angels’ customer service was prompt and friendly, and we were not pushed to pay for additional services we didn’t need. Instead, Visiting Angels tried to assess our actual needs.
Based on Visiting Angels’ online reviews, many clients were pleased with the level of care, professionalism, and companion care the company offers. The reviews further emphasized excellent customer service, including high-quality care and compassion demonstrated by qualified professional caregivers.
“If you are looking for a caregiver, I highly recommend Visiting Angels. They are very prompt, kind and caring.” —Texas
“Following a serious accident, my father required more physical help than I was able to provide, and, as we are a very close family, I felt horrible about this. I contacted Visiting Angels and was met with consistent service, invaluable commitment to meeting my dear father’s needs, and the help that I needed in the midst of a crisis. I strongly recommend their services!” —San Francisco
“Visiting Angels is currently working with my husband. Services provided include light housekeeping, dressing, grooming, meal preparation, light exercise, and companion care. He is well taken care of by a truly wonderful caregiver who is compassionate, caring, enthusiastic, sensitive to his medical needs, and very professional. It gives me peace of mind to leave him at home with a trusted Visiting Angel. I recommend Visiting Angels.” —Albuquerque, New Mexico