Online dating isn’t just for people in their twenties! People of all ages are looking for that special someone to share their life with. It’s only natural to want someone to keep us company and create new memories with.
There are several reasons that seniors could be looking for a new relationship. Seniors who get divorced later in life, or who sadly lose a partner to illness or an accident, might find themselves in the position of wanting to date again. For some other seniors, relationships haven’t been a priority in their life, but now they’re looking to meet someone.
Dating as a senior can be challenging. Many seniors feel a little intimidated by re-entering the dating arena. They might not have gone on a date or started a new relationship in a long time, especially if they were recently widowed or divorced.
Knowing where to meet people can be frustrating, too. If a senior lives in a rural area or has a small social circle, they might feel their dating options are limited. On the other hand, those in urban areas might find it hard knowing where to start their search.
That’s where senior dating sites come in.
Dating Sites Are An Easy Way To Meet People
Dating sites offer seniors an easy way to meet potential partners. Because dating sites are all about bringing people together, they’re a fantastic way to find other older adults who are looking for companionship and love.
Senior dating sites, as the name suggests, help people over a certain age (often 50 or 55, depending on the site), search for a romantic partner. You don’t have to use a senior-specific dating site – many general sites include an age filter so you can look for people in your desired age bracket – but senior-specific sites do offer the advantage that everyone on the site is within a certain age range.
How Do Senior Dating Sites Work?
Most dating sites work in a very similar way.
You start off by signing up for a free account. At this stage, you’ll usually fill out a questionnaire that the site uses to understand what you’re looking for in a partner. You’ll also have the chance to fill out your profile.
When you sign up for a free account, you’ll normally get the chance to see who is matching with you. Most sites use an algorithm to match you with people that seem like a good fit. The algorithm bases its answers on your intake questionnaire, and any other parameters you set (such as age or geographic location.)
Depending on the site, you might also be able to search for matches yourself on a free account.
Some sites will allow you to send a “like” or emoji to your matches, but most sites won’t let you send an actual written message until you pay for a subscription. Most sites will let you see who matched with you, and some will even let you read messages from paid members.
However, when it comes to sparking up a real conversation (and that’s what it’s all about at the end of the day), you’ll need to sign up for a subscription. As a paid member you’ll be able to send and respond to messages. Some sites also offer chat rooms, forums, advanced search, and other benefits to paid members.
What Kind Of Senior Dating Sites Are There?
Some dating sites have a specific focus. These are known as niche dating sites. You can find dating sites for almost any niche you can imagine. These include your faith, your political affiliation, your hobbies, your dietary preferences, whether or not you love to travel, whether you’re a geek or a gamer, whether you prefer to stay sober on dates, and much more.
Niche dating sites can further narrow the field, and if a certain trait or interest is important to you in a partner, they help you match only with those who share your priorities.
Please be aware that not all of these will be senior-specific, though they will most likely offer “age” as one of the parameters you can set while searching.
Questions To Ask Before Signing Up for a Senior Dating Site
With most dating sites, the only way to see if it’s truly for you is to sign up and see for yourself what kind of messages you get after you subscribe. However, there are some things we recommend checking out first:
- What does it cost to sign up and are there different membership levels? Some sites offer different features and extras depending on your membership level.
- How easy is it to get a refund if you change your mind? Some dating site users have difficulty getting refunds if they find out the site isn’t for them. For this reason, we think it’s a good idea to start by paying for one month only, before committing to a longer contract.
- What is the security like? Have a look around the website and don’t be afraid to email customer service to find out how they handle security. What are they doing to keep your information safe, and cut down on the creation of false accounts?
- What’s the sign-up process like? Most dating sites tell you a bit about their sign up process on their homepage, and you can also search for online reviews to learn more. Knowing a bit about the sign-up process tells you more about how the site works and how matches are made.
- Does the site make matches for me, and how does it do it? Most sites suggest matches for you based on your questionnaire answers and the parameters you set. Sites with suggested matches make it easier to find your next great date, by putting interesting people in front of you.
It’s a good idea to look at online reviews for the site you’re considering signing up for. Most dating sites naturally only share their success stories on their homepage – checking out independent reviews gives you a better idea of what the experience is like.
How Can I Make The Most Of The Sign Up Process?
The more effort you put into your initial questionnaire and profile creation, the more likely you are to stand out. Take your time with your answers and be completely honest with yourself about what matters to you, what you’re looking for, and what you’re not willing to accept.
Create a profile that gives a sense of who you are – not just your hobbies and interests, but what you’re looking for, and what matters to you. A trusted friend is a great source of advice when it comes to this part! Someone who knows you well can tell you whether your profile is an accurate reflection of who you are.
Don’t be shy about adding pictures. It can be daunting sharing pictures on a dating site, but photographs help potential matches make a connection with you and get a feel for who you are. Choose good, clear, natural-looking pictures that show you looking happy. Steer clear of pictures with other people in them – your potential matches only want to see you!
Whatever you do when you sign up, always remember to play it safe with your personal information. Don’t give out identifying details until you’re confident the person you’re chatting with is who they say they are. Then, take things to a personal meeting slowly, and always meet in public the first few times. There are a lot of fantastic people out there looking for a partner just like you are, but it’s always better to stay safe, and the good ones will respect that.
What Should I Expect To Pay For A Dating Site?
Expect to pay around $12 – $30 monthly for most dating sites.
Summary of Senior Dating Site Comparisons
Now you know what to look for in a dating site, let’s take a closer look at some popular dating sites you can try out today. We compared the top senior dating sites side by side. Click on the links to compare the best senior dating sites.
- eHarmony vs SilverSingles – SilverSingles is a senior-focused dating site while eHarmony is available to all ages. But which one protects your safety and privacy?
- Elite Singles vs SilverSingles – While very similar in how they fundamentally work, these two dating sites offer a drastically different experience when it comes to the demographic they cater to.
- Match.com vs OurTime – One of these dating sites caters to individuals of all ages looking to make a connection and the other is geared towards the 50 and better crowd.
- Match.com vs SilverSingles – For seniors looking to make a connection, both of these sites have a large pool of singles to work with. But one caters to older adults while the other is open to people of all ages.
- OurTime vs Match.com – One of these dating sites is much less expensive than the other, but does it offer as many features to help you find a connection?
- OurTime vs SeniorMatch – These two senior-specific sites have much in common, both catering to older adults. But one will leave your wallet much lighter than the other.
- OurTime vs SilverSingles – Both of these senior-focused dating sites allow younger singles to sign up. However, one is more focused on long-term relationships while the other is more flexible by presenting “casual”, “pen pal” and “marriage” as relationship options.
- OurTime vs Zoosk – While both of these dating sites are well-established, one has a much larger global audience while the other is largely focused on members in the U.S.
- SeniorMatch vs OurTime – One of these senior dating sites takes your privacy very seriously. The other lets you browse for matches based on your traveling goals.
- SilverSingles vs eHarmony – eHarmony uses an in-depth personality questionnaire to match its users of all ages while SilverSingles is simpler. But one has a much more hands-on approach to providing matches.
- SilverSingles vs Elite Singles – Which one fits you better? A senior-specific site or one that caters to people with a certain education and professional level?
- SilverSingles vs Match.com – Match.com offers a free 7-day trial membership so that you can try out the dating site. But does SilverSingles have more of who you are looking for?
- SilverSingles vs OurTime – One of these dating sites costs less than the other (by about half), but one is very serious about protecting your privacy.
- Zoosk vs OurTime – OurTime is a good choice for those who aren't as tech-savvy, while Zoosk is a great option for those who want to seek potential matches on a global platform.