For some seniors, getting in and out of the tub is a struggle. Bathrooms are one of the most common places for slips and falls, so it’s natural that many caregivers worry about how mom or dad is managing with bathing. Seniors who are less steady on their feet, who have poor balance, or who have mobility issues might feel unsafe trying to climb into a tub and could even be at risk of falls and injury.
Walk in tubs offer an easier alternative for seniors who find ordinary bathtubs difficult to navigate. Unlike a standard tub, a walk-in tub has a door, and a seat. Seniors simply walk into the tub, then sit down, and then fill it with water. There’s no climbing over the side of a tub, and no putting feet directly onto wet and slippery surfaces. Instead, seniors are safely seated before any water comes into the tub.
American Standard is a well-known company manufacturing walk-in tubs today. They have a wide range on offer to assist seniors in bathing safely.
Who is American Standard?
American Standard specializes in plumbing and building products. The company was first founded in 1875, as the Sanitary Standards Manufacturing Company. Back then they pioneered many of the plumbing fixtures we take for granted, including combination faucets, one-piece toilets, and corrosion resistant coating for brass fittings. By 1929 they were the world’s largest bathroom fittings manufacturers. In 1967 the household name American Standard was adopted, and these days they supply bathroom fixtures and fittings to homes, businesses and venues around the country.
In fact, according to their website, American Standard is in three out of five homes in the United States today. They have a long legacy and a strong reputation for quality and usefulness.
One of American Standard’s offerings is walk-in tubs. They have an impressive range of tubs with various additional spa-like features for an even more relaxing bathing experience. Let’s take a closer look at what they offer.
How Much Do American Standard Walk-In Tubs Cost?
The cost of walk-in tubs varies widely. However, you should be prepared for a sizable investment. American Standard tubs range from as you can expect most tubs to range from around $5000 all the way to $10,000, depending on which model you choose.
Benefits of Buying a Walk-in Tub from American Standard
American Standard tubs offer many benefits for seniors:
- You can get a free installation quote. This is important, and not every company offers it. A free quote means you know right away what you’ll pay for both the tub and installation.
- Lifetime warranty. A walk-in tub is a big investment, so it’s good to know if something goes wrong you’re covered for replacement and/or repair. American Standard even offer a lifetime warranty on the installation and labor, as well as the tub itself.
- Installation specialists on hand. Installing a walk-in tub should be done by specialists only – this isn’t an easy DIY job! American Standard tubs are installed by trained specialists.
- Doesn’t require any extra plumbing – works with your existing plumbing set up.
- Safety features including grab bars, Americans with Disabilities Act-compliant built-in seats, a low threshold and wide door for ease of getting in and out, and non-slip surfaces.
- Plenty of features designed for ease of use including one-touch jet system controls, a hand-held shower wand, and easy to use touch controls for all features. American Standard even has a commendation for ease of use from the Arthritis Foundation.
- All tubs have an exclusive quick drain system – we especially like this as it means seniors aren’t getting cold sitting and waiting for the water to drain out.
- All tubs are self-cleaning.
We also love some of the luxury features, including massage jets, built in aromatherapy, and chromatherapy for a beautifully colored and extra relaxing bath. Some models provide more than just bathing – they provide a lovely, relaxing experience which is soothing for seniors.
Many models also feature low thresholds for ease of climbing in and out, contoured seats for extra comfort, fast fill so there’s minimal time spent waiting for the tub to fill and thus less worry about getting cold, and neck rests for extra comfort.
Models Offered By American Standard
American Standard Tubs come in four main models:
- Deep soaking tubs designed for a relaxing bath and built big and wide enough for a nice full body soak.
- Walk in air baths that offer a soothing massage feature thanks to hundreds of tiny air jets (adjustable strength).
- Walk in whirlpool tubs that offer massage via water jets, for a spa-like experience (adjustable strength).
- Combination massage tubs that combine water and air jet message for the ultimate relaxing bathing experience (adjustable strength).
There are so many tubs to choose from – and that’s a good thing. The American Standard website lets you filter your search by:
- Where you can purchase the tub – at showrooms, online, retail, Lowes, Menard or Home Depot.
- Your preferred color finish – white, biscuit or linen.
- Features – built-in grab bars, chromatherapy, quick drain, or minute drain.
- Material – acrylic or gel coat.
- Length – 48, 51, 52 or 60 inches
- Width – 28, 30, 32 or 48 inches (we like the range of sizes to suit different size bathrooms).
What Are People Saying About American Standard?
We took a look online to find out what consumers are saying about American Standard walk-in tubs.
What people loved: How easy the tubs are to get into, the quick drain system, the fact that labor is guaranteed as well as the tub itself, the customer service, and the clean, professional installation service.
What people weren’t so keen on: It seems some customers have issues with jets and motors failing a short time after installation (though these also seem to be replaced quickly by American Standard.) We also note that some plus-sized customers end up with a model that’s a little small for them, so we recommend testing the tub before installation to be sure it’s a good fit.
Our verdict: American Standard has a good reputation, and offer a wide range of safety and comfort features. We like that they offer so many options and sizes. As always, we recommend that readers ask plenty of questions before purchasing and make sure the tub they choose fits their needs, and their bathroom.