How Does Active Guardian Medical Alert Work?
Active Guardian, like most mobile medical alert systems, uses cellular phone networks (in this case, Verizon) to provide service both in the home and outdoors. However, unlike most mobile medical alert devices which rely solely on GPS, Active Guardian uses a combination of GPS and Wi-Fi hotspots to accurately pinpoint the location of the wearer.
No matter where the wearer is, Active Guardian’s technology searches for the nearest hotspots to provide seamless service. That also means that users can benefit from Active Guardian’s protection with no need to rely on a cell phone network.
If the wearer needs assistance, all they have to do is press the button. Their wearable device immediately connects them to the Active Guardian call center where operators can assess the situation and dispatch help as needed.
We especially appreciate that callers can request help from the people they’ve listed on their account as contacts, such as a nearby family member, friend, or caregiver. In fact, sometimes a trusted person who lives close is the best person to offer assistance, and Medical Guardian understands that calling EMTs isn’t always the right answer. We think users will appreciate the flexibility.
What’s In The Box?
We’re particularly impressed with the extras that come as standard with this package. Many medical alerts include automatic fall detection or a lockbox as an extra, with an extra fee to match, too. With Active Guardian, both are included with the price. Let’s take a look at what’s inside the box:
- Active Guardian: This is a lightweight, wearable device with an adjustable lanyard. The device is watertight, making it safe for use in the bathroom, which is important as many falls happen in the tub or shower.
- Automatic fall detection: There’s no need to wear a separate pendant. Every Active Guardian comes with automatic fall detection. The device uses accelerometer technology to sense sudden or unusual movements and sends an automatic call to the center.
- Charging cradle: Most mobile medical alerts only last one to three days on one charge. Active Guardian runs for an impressive seven days on just one charge. We love how convenient this is – charge once and have peace of mind for most of the following week!
- Lockbox: Many seniors worry about what would happen if EMTs needed to access their home in an emergency. After all, no one wants to deal with a broken lock on top of everything else.
- Protection plan: This protects the wearer from out-of-pocket expenses, such as lost, damaged, or stolen equipment.
- User manual and quick activation guide: This comes in handy to get new customers up and running in no time.