A senior meal delivery service can be a boon for older adults who are struggling to get food on the table each day. The process of making a grocery list, getting to the store, bringing purchases home, and then the actual cooking can be overwhelming for seniors, especially those who tire easily, or have health conditions.
Having meals delivered takes out all those steps. Seniors receive healthy, nutritious meals that are ready to heat.
If you’re considering a senior meal delivery service for the loved one in your life, take a look at our list of pros and cons to help you decide.
Senior Meal Delivery: Pros
There are several reasons to choose a senior meal delivery service:
- Convenience – no more grocery shopping, driving or getting public transit to the store, and no more worrying about cooking healthy meals at home.
- Safety – A much safer option for seniors who might struggle to stay safe in the kitchen due to health conditions such as balance problems, forgetfulness, or difficulty gripping knives and other utensils.
- Health – Healthy, nutritious and well-balanced meals come standard and are the focus of many meal delivery services.
- Easy – Much less clean up – meals arrive ready to heat, cutting down the amount of pots and pans used on a daily basis.
- Diet accommodations – It makes it so much easier to cater for special dietary needs. There are many meal delivery companies that offer a range of special diet options. These include: Diabetic, heart healthy, allergy aware, dialysis friendly, and more.
- Peace of mind – Less stress on caregivers. Family and friends can relax knowing their senior will receive a supply of healthy meals with no cooking required.
- Budget friendly – Food budgeting is easier – because meals have a set price, it’s easier to figure out how much a week or a month’s worth of meals will cost.
Senior Meal Delivery: Cons
There are a few issues with meal delivery services:
- Cost – Expect to pay a minimum of $30 daily if your loved one needs all three meals plus a snack or two covered. That adds up to around $900 a month.
- Fixed Menu – There’s no control over what you eat. Delivered meals are prepared in bulk, and although there are often special options for different dietary needs there’s no wiggle room for substitutions once a menu has been set. With a meal delivery service, there’s no option to switch up the week’s menu.
- Repetition – Getting the same ingredients over and over. Production cost is a concern for senior meal delivery companies just as it is with any other business. That means they’re going to choose the least expensive seasonal vegetables for the menus. Nothing wrong with seasonal veggies, but it might get a bit repetitive when carrots or cabbage start showing up in nearly every dinner.
- Little to no cooking – For people who genuinely struggle to cook, this isn’t a problem. However, for those who enjoy cooking and the sense of independence it brings them a meal delivery option may not be welcomed.
- Online order process – Although online meal delivery portals are generally pretty user friendly, they could still cause confusion for seniors who aren’t tech savvy.
Should You Use A Senior Meal Delivery Service?
The choice of whether to opt for delivered meals or not is a personal one. We suggest weighing up the pros and cons. Ultimately, think about whether the benefit of ease, safety and a healthy diet outweigh the cost and lack of choice.
The bottom line should always be this – what’s the best way to make sure your loved one is eating a nutritious diet regularly? For some, meal delivery helps support that.
Most services offer the option to pay month to month, so if you’re unsure, why not try it out for a month and see how you it goes?
Have you used any of the meal delivery services out there? We'd love to hear your feedback! Leave your comments below.
The Top 5 Reasons to Invest in a Senior Meal Delivery Service
If you have an older adult in your life, chances are you’ve worried about whether they are eating well. Seniors often have smaller appetites, and might skip meals altogether due to fatigue, or physical issues that make cooking difficult.
For caregivers, this is a serious concern. You want to be sure your senior is getting a balanced diet, but preparing every meal for them isn’t always practical. Grocery shopping and meal prep take time, even if you batch cook or stock their freezer.
A senior meal delivery service takes away the stress and worry of making sure your senior eats properly. While meal delivery services are increasing in popularity across all age demographics, with popular choices including Blue Apron, Thrive Market, and Sun Basket, there are several options that are designed specifically for seniors. These include Silver Cuisine by bistroMD, Magic Kitchen, and of course, Meals On Wheels.
Here are the top 5 reasons to invest in a senior meal delivery service.
1. No More Worrying About Kitchen Accidents with Senior Meal Delivery
Kitchen accidents are a genuine concern as people age. Stiff joints, dizziness, forgetfulness, and balance and mobility problems can all cause accidents. These mishaps might be minor, but in some cases they can involve serious burns, scalds, or scrapes. A senior meal delivery service takes away that worry and means seniors can enjoy healthy meals with no risk.
2. Cater For Special Diets More Easily
Many seniors find themselves on a special diet. Whether it’s diabetes, eating to lower cholesterol, low-salt diets, or food intolerances such as gluten or dairy, older adults sometimes find themselves facing dietary restrictions. Many delivered meals services cater for a range of special diets, making it quick and simple for a senior or their caregiver to choose meals that are safe, healthy and varied.
3. No More Grocery Shopping Worries
Grocery shopping can be a serious strain for older adults, especially if they cannot drive and have to walk or take public transit to the grocery store. Caregivers often find themselves taking responsibility for purchasing groceries, and finding time to do so isn’t always easy. With a senior meal delivery service, there’s no need for grocery shopping. Many companies cover all three meals a day, plus a snack, so long shopping lists and waiting in line are a thing of the past.
4. Reduce Stress For Seniors And Caregivers Alike
A meal delivery service makes life much less stressful for caregivers. Looking after a senior who is struggling with cooking and eating healthily is a real challenge, especially for caregivers who also have other family members or jobs that need their attention. A meal delivery service takes away that stress and lets caregivers relax, knowing that their senior has fresh, healthy food every day.
5. Eat Well-Balanced, Nutritious Meals Every Day
As well as the effort of grocery shopping and meal prep, healthy eating also involves thinking about nutrition, a balanced diet, and different dietary needs. No wonder it’s sometimes easier for seniors to reach for ready meals or other processed food! A meal delivery service means healthy, well-balanced meals are always on hand, making it simple for seniors to eat well and look after their health.
If the senior in your life needs some extra support with eating well, or if you have so much to do that you’re worried about meeting their dietary needs, a senior meal delivery service is a convenient, healthy option that ensures the older adult in your life always has healthy food on the table.